I stayed 6 nights at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and yoga in Canggu, Bali, Indonesia. Somebody recommended it to me as yogi’s heaven. In a review somebody wrote “Everybody is into yoga etc., not my thing ” so I knew I had to go there ! I definitely liked the place which has a good heart and can recommend it but with some changes it would be upgrade from good to fantastic.
It’s almost over. But first six days in Canggu
- Yogaschools ! Prices are for a drop-in class in INR, 100k = 100.000 rupiah (ca. $7,50 / € 7,00), most schools have cheaper multiple class passes)
- Serenity – guesthouse with single and double rooms and dormbeds offering yoga. Huge population of yogi’s. (100k) – see my review
- The Practice Bali – beautiful studio with a lot of bamboo offering a wide range of classes (130k)
- Samadi Bali – 3 classes a day, a Sunday ecomarket and a wide range of extra activities. Also retreats, YTT’s etc. (130k)
- Desa Seni – a luxery resort offering yoga (140k). If there’s a copy of heaven on earth, it might be Desa Seni (see here a nice blogpost with photos)
- The chillhouse – surf, mountainbike.. and yoga – (120k)
- theCangguStudio – fitness studio which offers a couple of yogaclasses per week.
- Pranava yoga @ Matra guesthouse
- Batu Bolong Beach – at fridays acroyoga jams at Old Men`s Surfspot
- Surf & yoga (retreats)
In Ubud there are around ten yoga studios. Intuitive Flow is the smallest of the big three and has been recommended by one of my friends. Intuitive flow is founded by Linda Madani. Her lineage is yoga pranala (“a combination of asana, pranayama, meditation, mudra pranala (Balinese qi gong) and yoga nidra”), gentle with a clear spiritual side which can be seen in all the classes I have followed.
It’s because of Rosalina, one of my yoga teachers in Paris that I’m here in Bali now. I had never heard of Ubud but she told that enthusiast about it that I googled it and thought: I have to go there one day. And here I am 🙂
Of course I checked out all the flyers and posters in the city for yoga schools. Also my friends Chloe and Amy gave me a lot of names of restaurants. I will check them all 🙂
This list is an ongoing work and will be finalized when I’m gone. So come back regularly in the following weeks. Don’t hesitate to give me even more tips and info!!
- Yoga schools
- Yoga Barn – They have the most classes in the week (12+ a day!) and unfortunately also the biggest numbers of students per class. I’ve read about 50-60 persons in some classes. The teachers seem to be good as I have heard. I have walked around there for fifteen minutes; lot of beauty but it lacked warmth and friendliness – not one staff member greeted me or gave a little smile. (2,1 km)
- Intuitive Flow – see my review here Six classes a day (1,6 km)
- Radiantly alive– school most close to the center. Six classes a day (750 m). Afternoon classes seem to be less busy
- Ubud Yoga House – expect a beautiful walk in the rice fields to get there (1,2 km)
- Ubud Yoga Center – Maybe the most beautiful building. 5 classes a day, of which Bikram (as it is not hot enough here at Bali 🙂 3,5 km from Ubud Palace
- Taksu yoga – in a calm location, but in the center. Small classes. 3 à 4 classes a day (700 m)
- The Seeds of life – Ashtanga yoga with Ian Grysak. Mon. until friday (7-10am) Mysore style, Saturday led class (7-9am)
- Ashtanga Yoga Bali Research Centre Mysore style class, Sunday through Friday , 8-10 am, only welcome to join if you have already at least 3 weeks daily self-led practice. (No classes on Saturday or moon days).
- Under the Banyan tree – New yogaschool in Penestanen, follows Sama Yoga from Sweden consisting of “Hatha Yoga, Kriyas, Qi gong and heart opening mantras”
- Astudiom – aerial yoga, vinyasa flow and yinyoga
- Casa Luna / Honeymoon – Guesthouse who offers one or two classes (gentle vinyasa flow or yin yoga) a day
- Swasti eco cottages – 2 classes per day
- Body Works – apparently the yoga is given on another location (Omam hotel???) and very good. More information follows when I have found it.
- Ashtangazone – Kirsten Berg and Mitchell Gold stay some months a year in Bali to teach self led classes
- Mudyoga at Desa Visesa – daily 4-6pm, 155k
- YTT – very expensive here at Bali
- Meditation and (silent) retreats
- Yoga mats, -props and books – don’t worry, there are a lot of shops, especially in Hanoman road. And now I know where my Thailand friends got their clothes from :). Every (big) yoga school has also an in-house shop.
- Bali Yoga Shop – part of the same group as Yoga Barn
- English Bookhops – surprisingly the bookshops don’t have a lot of yoga and spiritual based books,
- My favorite places (in rough order of pfeference) and other places where the yogi’s go (apparently)
- Clear café
- The seeds of life
- Atman Kafe
- Soma – in the evening people gather to sing kirtans and make music
- The café on the site of Yogabarn
- The café near Radiently Alive
- Yellow Flower, near Intuitive Flow
- Alchemy (I was there once, but it was calm and lacked a good vibe)
- 9 Angels and Warung 9, community and donation based vegetarian buffet restaurants
- To eat (work in progress)
- To drink (work in progress)
- Laughing Buddha – with very good live music!
- Bamboo bar – Reggae
- LOL bar – Reggae
- CP Lounge – for party after 11pm. Not very yogic, but it’s all about balance 🙂
- Specialty coffee
- Seniman coffee – beautiful coffee’s with a lot of single origins. They have a big communal table where you easily can meet other people. Expect to pay a double price, but that’s the price of Quality!
- Anomali coffee – one blend but a nice one
|Restaurants in Ubud. Click for bigger. See the last version here, choose restaurants and zoom in on Ubud
Thanks to Chloe and Amy!
In March will be the Bali Spirit Festival with a lot of yoga, dance, and music
- Never-ending Voyage – Yoga in Ubud / Restaurants in Ubud – very good list and description of the Yoga and restaurants in Ubud.
- Casa de Karma : The Ultimate Yogi’s Guide To Ubud – maybe the best list!
- In Bali – Yoga in Ubud / Yoga @ inbali.org
- The Yoganomads – Guide to Ubud
- The Yoginist – Ubud, the yogis paradise
- Ashley Abroad – Budget yoga retreat
- The goin: how to Ubud – very good guide about Ubud and her surroundings
- Brit and the blonde : budget travelguide / Best restaurants
- Bitter funny life – Ubud eating veg and raw
- The Lonerider @ Indonesia / Ubud
- Elsewhere in Indonesia
- Indojunkie: 12 best places in Bali for yoga