I’m now in Hikkadawu, Sri Lanka. The island is more surf orientated than yoga orientated. There are some beautiful places thought to practice. As always I made a list of the yoga on the island!
The high season is from December until March.
Still under construction. Always check before you go. In hostels it depends mostly if there is a teacher in residence available.
- Cafe Bodhi – I planned to stay three days in Hikkaduwa, but at my first day I passed this place and I’m here now almost two weeks… and counting. Because will be there another place in the world where you can have great vegan food, learn to slackline, see the beautiful sunsets, do your handstands, (acro)yoga and/or meditation in the middle of other guests without being perceived as a fool (as far as I know ) and meet great people at the same time?Twice a day (9:30 and 16:15) yoga with view on the ocean and the sunset.
- Kailash yoga studio– Yoga with Lyndon Mason, a student of ishnu Devananda.I followed one class. Lyndon is a friendly, very advanced yogi who can talk passionately about philosophy. He teaches a Sivananda inspired sequence with a lot of advanced asana’s (I think only 1 out of 15 in my class could do them all). However, he performs the poses with the eyes closed, with a minimum of cues and no adaptions to the level of the public. No adjustments given neither, only a bit of help with the headstand. It’s an experience on it own, so you can always give it a try, if only to see someone doing very advanced poses in real. But don’t expect a (beginners) lesson.Twice a day (8.30 and 16:00, 1000 LKR)
- Salty Swami’s – maybe the best food of Hikkaduwa !
- To stay: Love and Kind hostel or Chamis place
- It has an old fort with a lot of history. However it’s quit small, in two hours I was done there…
- Ashtanga Lanka Mysore style retreats near Matara
Most retreats are a combination of Surfing and Yoga
- The Earthlinks – beautiful villa near Hikkaduwa, by the owners of the Bodhi Café
- Surf spirit – Unawatuna
- Surf and Soul – near Weligama
- Sri Lanka guide of Jewels Betrand : 26 day spiritual journey/
(source map: Beetroot hostels)